Monday, November 24, 2008

Tim McGraw/Ludacris + T-Pain

First of all, I'd like to say that I had very low expectations for this show, given the host. I'm pleased to say that my expectations were surpassed and Tim McGraw was actually a good host. However, the bad news is it ranks as one of the weakest of a high-calibre season.

Cold Open: This was decent, but nowhere near the par set at the beginning of the season with the Sarah Palin sketches. Oh Sarah, I never thought I'd say this, but I miss you.
Elements I did enjoy were Bill Hader's North Carolina Representative character and Darrell Hammond.
7/10

Monologue: Fine, except for when McGraw had to break into a song. I'm sure McGraw is a lovely man, but I really hate his music.
5/10

Clear Rite: I'm not sure why I enjoyed this sketch so much. But Kristen Wiig was very funny , and the ending was unexpected, so kudos!
8/10


Real-Life Crimes: I was busting a gut laughing at this. Bill Hader's impression was impeccable as usual, and cracked me up. "Do you get some twisted pleasure out of this?" "Yeees!"
9/10

Turkeys: One of the weakest. I remember glancing at the newspaper while this sketch was running. Didn't crack a smile once.
4/10

James Bond - Live Another Death: Enjoyable sketch. Felt a little stale, but I laughed nonetheless. Best gag was no doubt the Pussy Galore part.
7/10

Weekend Update: This week on Weekend Update, Arianna Huffington and Bill Clinton paid a visit. Arianna Huffington was played by new cast member Michaela Watkins, and it was excellent. Good to see her get a part this week. Bill Clinton was hilarious as always. And the other guest was Zell Miller played by Will Forte. This part was pretty forgettable, and was a comment on the Georgia Senate run-off between Saxby Chambliss and Jim Martin
Not the best WU, 7/10

The Blizzard Man: This sketch was about a white rapper named Blizzard Man played by Andy Samberg. It was silly, but I loved it! Lorne Michaels needs to take note of T-Pain. Future host right there.
8/10

Trick-R-Turkey: Jeff Montgomery spends Thanksgiving with a family who he doesn't know. Another creepy character played by Will Forte. Not very original or funny for that matter.
5/10


Phony Phone Calls: Another silly sketch about a radio DJ who makes mild prank phone calls to the delight of the call receivers. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
8/10

Weird Bartender: I knew this would happen. Mark Payne became a recurring character. You remember Mark Payne? Played by Bobby Moynihan in the season premiere. Well, he was back last night. And although it wasn't as funny as the original sketch, I did laugh, which is more than can be said for Trick-r-Turkey, or Turkey Day.
7.5/10

Overall this was a very hit and miss episode. They underutilised the host, and there weren't really any stand out sketches. Usually after watching an episode of SNL, I rewatch my favourite sketches before I go to sleep. Last week, I must have watched The Painting Digital Short five or six times? Same with the Beyonce Dancers sketch. This week, I had no urge to rewatch any of the sketches. Surefire sign of a dud episode.

6.5/10

Thoughts:
  1. Bill Hader is eerily similar to Dan Aykroyd.
  2. Poor Abby Elliott, why won't they include her!
  3. Just one Twilight reference?
  4. I miss The Falconer.
  5. John Malkovich!

No comments: