Saturday, March 14, 2009

Abby Elliott in People Magazine

Here's a brief excerpt from an interview with Abby & her father Chris Elliott.

Did you always know Abby was destined for showbiz?
Chris: In middle school she was in The King and I.
Abby: Lady Thiang, the King's head wife. Which was very dramatic for 13. (laughs) Chris: She had such a presence, and I remember thinking, 'Oh my God. You’re going to be a star.' But we pushed her. I wanted you to follow in my footsteps. It was all planned before you were born. I just thought you were going to be a boy.
Abby: And be bald?
Chris: You still will be, honey. I lost mine at 22. You've got a year.

Abby, did you go to college?
Abby: I didn't even last a semester. The school part was doable, but the living situation – there were mice crawling up the desk in my dorm room, which was on top of a YMCA. So you started working with comedy troupes like the Groundlings and Upright Citizens Brigade.

How did you land SNL?
Abby: I just kept sending in tapes. 'Look, I can play a yoga instructor and stand on my head!' One character, then four. When they called me to audition, I couldn't speak.
Chris: Her audition was great.
Abby: I did five minutes of impressions: Drew Barrymore, Joan Cusack, Katie Holmes.
Chris: She's always been a good mimic. Angelina Jolie I think you started doing when you were 12.
Abby: When she came out with that whole Gothic thing, with Billy Bob [Thornton]. I started doing her face before the voice, the eyes, the moving.

Has your dad given you any advice?
Abby: Not a lot of advice, but a lot of support, a lot of letting me know that I can do anything that I want. You couldn't ask for a better family.
Chris: Well, you could ask, but you're not going to get it. This is as good as it gets.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20262837,00.html

The rest of the interview is in this week's People magazine, I do believe.

No comments: