Friday, January 15, 2010

Team CoCo

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Okay, so I'm just gonna take a minute to address the ongoing NBC late-night debacle. As you can maybe guess, I'm a fan of Conan O'Brien. His humour is intelligent yet silly & absurd, and he doesn't cater to lowest common denominator tastes or Middle America, like his predecessor Jay Leno frequently did. Do I think The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien is as good as his previous venture Late Night with Conan O'Brien? No, not yet anyway. However, he has only been given seven months to build up an audience, find himself & the show, and now NBC are trying to take it away from him. As I see it, The Jay Leno Show at 10.00 is the problem, and the reason Conan wasn't getting huge ratings, was due to Jay's poor lead-in, and so I think it's kind of sucky that NBC are punishing Conan for their programming mistakes.

Now, obviously I don't know Conan O'Brien in any way, shape or form, but any time I've heard/seen him being interviewed, he has come across as funny, kind and humble. His statement earlier this week proved what a classy guy he was. For that alone, I hate seeing him treated in this manner by the NBC big-wigs. However, I have had a very limited interaction with Conan O'Brien. As some of you may know, I am an autograph collector. I mainly write to comedians/writers/filmmakers. Conan has been near the top of my list since I started collecting 2 years ago. When he moved out to LA last summer, I took a chance and I wrote a letter to him about my writerly aspirations (Conan started as a writer on SNL & The Simpsons after all). I didn't expect to hear from him, but approximately 6 weeks after I wrote to him, I received a glossy black & white photo signed "To Amy - Wow - thanks for your great letter. Best of luck with your writing! Your friend, Conan O'Brien."
Now I'm sure that Conan signs tons of photos for fans everyday, but the fact that he at least skimmed through my letter and wrote a thoughtful inscription really meant the world to me, and I think a little act like that demonstrates what a stand-up guy Conan is.
That, along with many other reasons, is why I'm with CoCo.

2 comments:

Charlie Mitchell said...

that's very cool, conan is also a big favorite of mine. did you see the latest post on the harvard lampoon's website? it's a piece conan wrote whilst attending harvard, and it's very funny and smart. check it out


http://harvardlampoon.com/

Oliver said...

Conan is awesome for sending you an autograph. Team Coco all the way!